Re: huawei E5776 (hilink) 3.12-->3.13 not working anymore

Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Am 27.11.2013 13:33, schrieb Bjørn Mork:
>> Thomas Schäfer <tschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have it already mentioned somewhere. Sorry for duplicates.
>>>
>>> The Huawei E5776
>>> (normal use, classic IPv4, hilink mode (with webinterface and RFC1918 IP-
>>> config including NAT)
>>
>> So this is always connected and you don't normally use ModemManager or
>> any other userspace utility to manage it?
>
> Yes. I am not sure if Networkmanager was involved, but if so, he did
> only dhcp. (or I started the dhcpcd )
>

>> I guess it should be a "wwan"
>> device at all then, but I don't see how we can avoid that given that
>> both PID and subclass/protocol is same as managed modems.
>>

> Some other hilink-devices, I have seen, use cdc_ether instead, still
> working with 3.13.
>

>> Anyway, this is obviously not the problem in your case.
>>
>>> worked well with 3.12 and before, but it doesn't work any more with 3.13.
>>>
>>> At least one local branded version of the huawei E3776 is also affected.
>>
>> Yes, and you already tested reverting all changes to cdc_ncm with that
>> modem, was that so? You still have the same problems with the v3.12
>> version of cdc_ncm running on v3.13-rc1+?
>
> If I remember correctly yes.
>

>> How about looking at usbmon differences?  That should show us where
>> things start to go wrong.
>>

> I will try it tonight.
>

> Thomas
>

> PS: in the meantime I was shocked by the change of 0930:1319 Ericsson
> H5321gw from cdc_ncm to mbim in older kernel-versions.

Yes, that is a problem caused by the shared NCM/MBIM function these
devices use.  The choice must be made by the kernel, because it is a
choice between different drivers.  The best I could come up with is the
cdc_ncm module parameter setting the policy:  prefer_mbim=N implies that
NCM is preferred.

You can set the parameter when loading cdc_ncm, or any time later by
writing to /sys/module/cdc_ncm/parameters/prefer_mbim.  But you'll have
to force the modem to be reprobed somehow after making a change, so it's
probably best to set the option in a modprobe config file for built-in
modems like the H5321gw

Bjørn