Re: 3.4.4: disabling irq

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> Hello Alan,
>
> On 2013-08-23 21:33, Alan Stern wrote:
> >> Well, I replaced the motherboard by one of the same type and same BIOS
> >> version.
> >> And the problem is still here.

> >> So what can we conclude?
> >> Kernel bug?
> >> Hardware bug?
> >> Something else?
> >
> > Any of the above.  On the new hardware, is it still true that
> > /proc/interrupts shows IRQ 18 being used by ohci_hcd:usb1, 2, 3, and
> > nothing else?
>
> $ cat /proc/interrupts |grep 18:
>  104556      35248  IR-IO-APIC-fasteoi   ohci_hcd:usb5, ohci_hcd:usb8,
> ohci_hcd:usb9

Different bus numbers, but probably the same controllers.  All right.

> > Suppose you don't use the webcam, or better yet, unplug it (so that it
> > can't possibly be used without your knowledge).  If you do, does the
> > IRQ still get disabled?
>
> If I simply stop the `motion` daemon I did not see the errors in the past.
> Replacing the pwc webcam did not help.

> >       rmmod ohci-pci
> >       modprobe dummy-irq irq=18
> >
> > and see if the IRQ line gets disabled after that.
>
> Can I actually use that irq/ports that way? (as with no usage the
> problem does not occur)

No, if you unload the ohci-hcd driver then the webcam won't be used.
Are you certain that merely stopping the daemon program will prevent
the problem?

> Also:
>
> $ lsmod|grep pci
> ehci_pci               12432  0
> ehci_hcd               56916  1 ehci_pci
>
> No ohci_pci, is that a problem?

Sorry, for 3.10 it should be ohci_hcd.  In 3.11 it changed to ohci_pci.

Have you tried getting a USB-2 hub and plugging the webcam into it?
That will make a good test: You'll be able to use the webcam without
it affecting the ohci-hcd driver.

As a second test, you can try plugging everything _except_ the webcam
into the hub.

> FWIW: on these boards (same type, BIOS, etc) I also see the issue
> described at http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137749729105329&w=2.
> Any correlation?

Not that I can see.

Alan Stern