Re: 3.4.4: disabling irq

Hello Alan,

On 2013-08-23 21:33, Alan Stern wrote:
>> Well, I replaced the motherboard by one of the same type and same BIOS
>> version.
>> And the problem is still here.
>>
>>> kernel:[ 3013.199945] Disabling IRQ #18
>>
>> So what can we conclude?
>> Kernel bug?
>> Hardware bug?
>> Something else?
>
> Any of the above.  On the new hardware, is it still true that
> /proc/interrupts shows IRQ 18 being used by ohci_hcd:usb1, 2, 3, and
> nothing else?

$ cat /proc/interrupts |grep 18:
 104556      35248  IR-IO-APIC-fasteoi   ohci_hcd:usb5, ohci_hcd:usb8,
ohci_hcd:usb9

> Suppose you don't use the webcam, or better yet, unplug it (so that it
> can't possibly be used without your knowledge).  If you do, does the
> IRQ still get disabled?

If I simply stop the `motion` daemon I did not see the errors in the past.
Replacing the pwc webcam did not help.

> By the way, you aren't still running a 3.4 kernel are you?

We move up with the releases so yes we have 3.10 kernels.

> Assuming
> you are using 3.10 or later, here's something else you can do.  Turn on
> CONFIG_DUMMY_IRQ in the kernel config.  Then do
>
> 	rmmod ohci-pci
> 	modprobe dummy-irq irq=18
>
> and see if the IRQ line gets disabled after that.

Can I actually use that irq/ports that way? (as with no usage the
problem does not occur)
Also:

$ lsmod|grep pci
ehci_pci               12432  0
ehci_hcd               56916  1 ehci_pci

No ohci_pci, is that a problem?

FWIW: on these boards (same type, BIOS, etc) I also see the issue
described at http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137749729105329&w=2.
Any correlation?

Kind regards,
Udo