Re: 3.4.4: disabling irq

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

> On 2013-01-26 19:48, Alan Stern wrote:
> >> Please explain.
> >
> > I can't.  I don't know what's going on with your systems.  But nobody
> > else seems to be experiencing this problem.
>
> Well, I replaced the motherboard by one of the same type and same BIOS
> version.
> And the problem is still here.
>
> > kernel:[ 3013.199945] Disabling IRQ #18
>
> So what can we conclude?
> Kernel bug?
> Hardware bug?
> Something else?

Any of the above.  On the new hardware, is it still true that
/proc/interrupts shows IRQ 18 being used by ohci_hcd:usb1, 2, 3, and
nothing else?

Suppose you don't use the webcam, or better yet, unplug it (so that it
can't possibly be used without your knowledge).  If you do, does the
IRQ still get disabled?

By the way, you aren't still running a 3.4 kernel are you?  Assuming
you are using 3.10 or later, here's something else you can do.  Turn on
CONFIG_DUMMY_IRQ in the kernel config.  Then do

	rmmod ohci-pci
	modprobe dummy-irq irq=18

and see if the IRQ line gets disabled after that.

Alan Stern