Re: 3.4.4: disabling irq

On 2013-08-27 19:43, Alan Stern wrote:
>>>       rmmod ohci-pci
>>>       modprobe dummy-irq irq=18
>>>
>>> and see if the IRQ line gets disabled after that.
>>
>> Can I actually use that irq/ports that way? (as with no usage the
>> problem does not occur)
>
> No, if you unload the ohci-hcd driver then the webcam won't be used.
> Are you certain that merely stopping the daemon program will prevent
> the problem?

Quite certain but retesting can confirm that.

>> No ohci_pci, is that a problem?
>
> Sorry, for 3.10 it should be ohci_hcd.  In 3.11 it changed to ohci_pci.

3.10.9 is the latest here.

> Have you tried getting a USB-2 hub and plugging the webcam into it?
> That will make a good test: You'll be able to use the webcam without
> it affecting the ohci-hcd driver.

Not yet but I'll have hubs to test with soon.

> As a second test, you can try plugging everything _except_ the webcam
> into the hub.

To see if the webcam itself is a factor. I see.

>> FWIW: on these boards (same type, BIOS, etc) I also see the issue
>> described at http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=137749729105329&w=2.
>> Any correlation?
>
> Not that I can see.

This afternoon I found a 3.8.10 kernel with the disabled irq 18 and some
^@^@^@ characters on teh console.
After I did:

service motion stop
rmmod pwc
echo 0000:00:13.0 >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci_hcd/unbind
echo 0000:00:13.0 >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci_hcd/bind
modprobe pwc
service motion start

the ^@^@^@ appeared to stop.
I'll try to watch /proc/interrupts to see if the ^@^@ correlate with