Re: Keyboard/mouse dead in 3.8.2 from kernel.org

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 02:39:57PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 15 March 2013 14:39:35 Greg KH did opine:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 02:07:52PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > On Friday 15 March 2013 13:51:47 Greg KH did opine:

> > > I thought maybe the vendorid etc might be enough.  Sorry.
> > >
> > > No clue what diffs exist at this point Greg, it doesn't get far enough
> > > to make any log entries for comparisons, and the last kernel on this
> > > linuxcnc special install of Ubuntu-10.04-4 LTS uses a
> > > 2.6.32-122-43-rtai patched kernel version.  That's what is running
> > > ATM.
> >
> > That's a huge jump to go from.
> >
> > > I have not built a kernel.org kernel in about 18 months on this
> > > install but figured since this LTS is going away, I oughty to stick
> > > an oar back in this water.
> > >
> > > It fails, according to what I see on screen, and I can supply a pix of
> > > the fail, apparently while mounting disk drives, getting to one that
> > > doesn't exist, but then stops and falls out 30 secs later to a
> > > busybox shell prompt with no keyboard or mouse, so a tap on the reset
> > > is needed.  This same keyboard works well when trolling through the
> > > grub screen before the boot. The pix is still in the camera, but its
> > > near 2 megs of raw jpg.  Pastebin it?
> >
> > Sure.  But this doesn't sound like a USB problem, does it?  It sounds
> > like you just don't have the kernel configuration correct for this
> > system.  Or the fact that your old userspace can not boot a new kernel,
> > which, odds are, is the problem here.  Please try upgrading your
> > userspace first before blaming the kernel.
> >
> > good luck,
> >
> > greg k-h
> http://imagebin.org/250405

You seem to be ignoring the last line printed out there, why do you
think that this is a USB error because the root disk can't be found?

Odds are you aren't building in the correct disk driver, or, you need to
fix up your initramfs to point to the correct block device.  None of
which is a USB error, sorry.

greg k-h