Re: Keyboard/mouse dead in 3.8.2 from kernel.org

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 02:07:52PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 15 March 2013 13:51:47 Greg KH did opine:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 01:20:41PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings;
> > >
> > > What modules do I need to make builtin in order to have a working
> > > keyboard
> >
> > > when the boot fails when the keyboard/mouse is this:
> > What is different from a working system?  Did 3.8.1 work?  Does 3.8.3
> > work?  We need something to go on here.
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> I thought maybe the vendorid etc might be enough.  Sorry.
>
> No clue what diffs exist at this point Greg, it doesn't get far enough to
> make any log entries for comparisons, and the last kernel on this linuxcnc
> special install of Ubuntu-10.04-4 LTS uses a 2.6.32-122-43-rtai patched
> kernel version.  That's what is running ATM.

That's a huge jump to go from.

> I have not built a kernel.org kernel in about 18 months on this install but
> figured since this LTS is going away, I oughty to stick an oar back in this
> water.
>
> It fails, according to what I see on screen, and I can supply a pix of the
> fail, apparently while mounting disk drives, getting to one that doesn't
> exist, but then stops and falls out 30 secs later to a busybox shell prompt
> with no keyboard or mouse, so a tap on the reset is needed.  This same
> keyboard works well when trolling through the grub screen before the boot.
> The pix is still in the camera, but its near 2 megs of raw jpg.  Pastebin
> it?

Sure.  But this doesn't sound like a USB problem, does it?  It sounds
like you just don't have the kernel configuration correct for this
system.  Or the fact that your old userspace can not boot a new kernel,
which, odds are, is the problem here.  Please try upgrading your
userspace first before blaming the kernel.

good luck,

greg k-h