Re: Testing for hardware bug in EHCI controllers

Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Mar 2013, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Alan Stern wrote:
>>> 	Then plug in an ordinary USB flash drive and run the attached
>>> 	program (as root), giving it the device path for the flash
>>> 	drive as the single command-line argument.  For example:
>>>
>>> 		sudo ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/002/003
>>>
>>> The program won't do anything bad to the flash drive;
>>
>> All my flash drives beg to differ.
>>
>> Transcend JetFlash:
>>
>> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/001/007
>> URB timed out; bug may be present
>> URB timed out; bug may be present
>> URB timed out; bug may be present
>> URB timed out; bug may be present
>> ^C
>> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/001/007
>> Unable to send TEST UNIT READY: Broken pipe
>
> This is normal.  You didn't unplug the flash drive between tests.
>
>> Nexus S:
>>
>> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/002/006
>> TEST UNIT READY status 1
>
> That's odd.  Perhaps the Nexus S doesn't initialize the flash drive
> when it is plugged in.

In this case, the Nexus S *is* the flash drive.

>> some Genesys card reader:
>
> On what system?

All three devices on the same system with an AMD SB710 controller.

>> (and, of course, nothing in the log)
>
> I stand by my original statement.

I didn't want to imply any damage.  But the "timed out" messages come
regularly every two seconds, which appears to indicate that the test
program doesn't manage to do what it wants to do.

Are these messages normal?

Regards,
Clemens