Re: Testing for hardware bug in EHCI controllers

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Alan Stern wrote:
> > 	Then plug in an ordinary USB flash drive and run the attached
> > 	program (as root), giving it the device path for the flash
> > 	drive as the single command-line argument.  For example:
> >
> > 		sudo ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/002/003
> >
> > The program won't do anything bad to the flash drive;
>
> All my flash drives beg to differ.
>
> Transcend JetFlash:
>
> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/001/007
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> ^C
> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/001/007
> Unable to send TEST UNIT READY: Broken pipe
> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/001/007
> Unable to send TEST UNIT READY: Broken pipe

This is normal.  You didn't unplug the flash drive between tests.  The
test program leaves the drive in an intermediate state; it has to be
reset before it will work again.  Unplugging it is the easiest way to
reset it.

> Nexus S:
>
> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/002/006
> TEST UNIT READY status 1

That's odd.  Perhaps the Nexus S doesn't initialize the flash drive
when it is plugged in.  Normally this initialization happens when
usb-storage binds to the flash drive, but maybe the Nexus S doesn't
have usb-storage.

> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/002/006
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> ^C
> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/002/006
> TEST UNIT READY status 2
> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/002/006
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> URB timed out; bug may be present
> ^C

Once again you didn't unplug the flash drive between tests.

> some Genesys card reader:

On what system?  The Nexus S?

> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/001/010
> TEST UNIT READY status 1
> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/001/010
> TEST UNIT READY status 1
>
> (and, of course, nothing in the log)

I stand by my original statement.  If you unplug the flash drive after
a test and then plug it back in, you will find it back in its original
condition.  No harm done and no data erased.

Alan Stern