Re: Testing for hardware bug in EHCI controllers

On Sat, 2 Mar 2013, Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> >> Transcend JetFlash:
> >>
> >> ./ehci-test /dev/bus/usb/001/007
> >> URB timed out; bug may be present
> >> URB timed out; bug may be present
> >> URB timed out; bug may be present
> >> URB timed out; bug may be present

> All three devices on the same system with an AMD SB710 controller.
>
> >> (and, of course, nothing in the log)
> >
> > I stand by my original statement.
>
> I didn't want to imply any damage.  But the "timed out" messages come
> regularly every two seconds, which appears to indicate that the test
> program doesn't manage to do what it wants to do.

Possibly.  The program uses a 2-second timeout, which explains the
regular timing of the messages.

The timeout means that _something_ is wrong.  It could be the bug I was
testing for, but more likely it is something else.

> Are these messages normal?

Well, let's say that they are normal when something goes wrong.  :-)

With a well-behaved host and a well-behaved flash drive, nothing should
go wrong.  But it's not all that surprising for a problem to arise.  I
wrote the test program for one specific purpose, so it doesn't have
lots of diagnostic or recovery code.  Maybe you're hitting a different
bug, one that affects AMD SB* controllers.

At any rate, if you're interested in finding out what the problem might
be, the best place to start would be with a usbmon trace.

Alan Stern