Re: Is consistency sought in Kconfig tristate text?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:06:59AM -0800, rh wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:05:12 -0800
> Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:44:36AM -0800, rh wrote:
> > > I am curious to know if there are any rules applied to the text of
> > > tristate in Kconfig. For example what's preferred in tristate text,
> > > the name that a user would know because it's printed on the outside
> > > of the device or that name of the chip or chip maker not visible
> > > except maybe programatically?
> >
> > Both would be good, especially for the help text.
> >
> > > I'm not certain at all who the audience is for the text that's in
> > > tristate. Who builds kernels? Distro maintainers mostly?
> >
> > Yes, the large majority of people do not build their own kernels, but
> > rely on distros do to it for them.
>
> I understand why this is so.
>

> > > End users missing support for their
> > > unsupported-by-their-distro-device and are now braving config?
> >
> > That's a much much much smaller group.  Normally a distro builds all
> > modules and the drivers are automatically loaded by the system when a
> > device is detected.
> >
> > Are you having problems with the wording of some config items?
>
> Here's what I found out the hard way.  Maybe it just exposes my ignorance,
> I dunno. I build static kernels (non-modular?).
> I have a belkin usb-to-serial adapter.
>
> There's this one (hey I have a belkin so....):
> config USB_SERIAL_BELKIN
> 	tristate "USB Belkin and Peracom Single Port Serial Driver"
> 	help
> 	  Say Y here if you want to use a Belkin USB Serial single port
> 	  adaptor (F5U103 is one of the model numbers) or the Peracom single
> 	  port USB to serial adapter.
>
> 	  To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
> 	  module will be called belkin_sa.
>
> This didn't work. Then, darn what'd I do wrong? So I thought maybe some
> udevness was needed. After this and that and other I gave up. But some
> months later I really wanted to dump my GPS data to disk so picked it up
> again.
>
> I finally found this other driver:
> config USB_SERIAL_MCT_U232
> 	tristate "USB MCT Single Port Serial Driver"
> 	---help---
> 	  Say Y here if you want to use a USB Serial single port adapter from
> 	  Magic Control Technology Corp. (U232 is one of the model numbers).
>
> 	  This driver also works with Sitecom U232-P25 and D-Link DU-H3SP USB
> 	  BAY, Belkin F5U109, and Belkin F5U409 devices.
>
> 	  To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
> 	  module will be called mct_u232.
>
> That F5U409 is what mine is and it worked!
>
> I think it'd be good having the help for "config USB_SERIAL_BELKIN"
> mention that support for F5U109 and F5U409 is over in the "USB MCT
> Single Port Serial Driver" driver. Or change the MCT tristate to mention
> Sitecom,D-Link and Belkin.

Trying to figure out all of the different OEM markings of the different
devices is an almost impossible task, and it would make the "simple"
single line much much longer for lots of different drivers.

I'm sorry that you were confused by the existing wording, but if you
ever have a question about if a device is working or not, just try a
distro kernel, they are the best for detecting things like this, and
then use that running kernel configuration for your own (the
'localyesconfig' make option is great for this.)

greg k-h