Re: Is consistency sought in Kconfig tristate text?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:44:36AM -0800, rh wrote:
> I am curious to know if there are any rules applied to the text of tristate in
> Kconfig. For example what's preferred in tristate text, the name that a user
> would know because it's printed on the outside of the device or that name
> of the chip or chip maker not visible except maybe programatically?

Both would be good, especially for the help text.

> I'm not certain at all who the audience is for the text that's in tristate.
> Who builds kernels? Distro maintainers mostly?

Yes, the large majority of people do not build their own kernels, but
rely on distros do to it for them.

> End users missing support for their unsupported-by-their-distro-device
> and are now braving config?

That's a much much much smaller group.  Normally a distro builds all
modules and the drivers are automatically loaded by the system when a
device is detected.

Are you having problems with the wording of some config items?

thanks,

greg k-h