Re: Is consistency sought in Kconfig tristate text?

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 10:05:12 -0800
Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:44:36AM -0800, rh wrote:
> > I am curious to know if there are any rules applied to the text of
> > tristate in Kconfig. For example what's preferred in tristate text,
> > the name that a user would know because it's printed on the outside
> > of the device or that name of the chip or chip maker not visible
> > except maybe programatically?
>
> Both would be good, especially for the help text.
>
> > I'm not certain at all who the audience is for the text that's in
> > tristate. Who builds kernels? Distro maintainers mostly?
>
> Yes, the large majority of people do not build their own kernels, but
> rely on distros do to it for them.

I understand why this is so.

> > End users missing support for their
> > unsupported-by-their-distro-device and are now braving config?
>
> That's a much much much smaller group.  Normally a distro builds all
> modules and the drivers are automatically loaded by the system when a
> device is detected.
>
> Are you having problems with the wording of some config items?

Here's what I found out the hard way.  Maybe it just exposes my ignorance,
I dunno. I build static kernels (non-modular?).
I have a belkin usb-to-serial adapter.

There's this one (hey I have a belkin so....):
config USB_SERIAL_BELKIN
	tristate "USB Belkin and Peracom Single Port Serial Driver"
	help
	  Say Y here if you want to use a Belkin USB Serial single port
	  adaptor (F5U103 is one of the model numbers) or the Peracom single
	  port USB to serial adapter.

	  To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
	  module will be called belkin_sa.

This didn't work. Then, darn what'd I do wrong? So I thought maybe some
udevness was needed. After this and that and other I gave up. But some
months later I really wanted to dump my GPS data to disk so picked it up
again.

I finally found this other driver:
config USB_SERIAL_MCT_U232
	tristate "USB MCT Single Port Serial Driver"
	---help---
	  Say Y here if you want to use a USB Serial single port adapter from
	  Magic Control Technology Corp. (U232 is one of the model numbers).

	  This driver also works with Sitecom U232-P25 and D-Link DU-H3SP USB
	  BAY, Belkin F5U109, and Belkin F5U409 devices.

	  To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
	  module will be called mct_u232.

That F5U409 is what mine is and it worked!

I think it'd be good having the help for "config USB_SERIAL_BELKIN"
mention that support for F5U109 and F5U409 is over in the "USB MCT
Single Port Serial Driver" driver. Or change the MCT tristate to mention
Sitecom,D-Link and Belkin.