Re: [RFT] usb: Fix TX errors on devices with unsupported LPM states.

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 05:26:48PM -0400, Don Zickus wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 12:15:46PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> > Hi Don,
> >
> > The WD drive arrived today, but I can't reproduce your I/O errors on
> > 3.6.  I didn't try with 3.5 yet.  However, I did notice that the device
> > really doesn't want to enter U1, but it will enter U2.
>
> I did update the firmware but I think I had the problem before that
> happened.  Also I don't use the VIA hub anymore.  I plugged the harddrive
> directly into my mahobay system's usb3 port and see the problem.
>

> > Can you test the following patch with your device and see if it helps?
> > If that doesn't work, I suggest getting a high-quality new cable and
> > seeing if that helps the transfer issues.
> >
> > Gabor, this might fix your issues as well, and should allow your system
> > to consume less power than completely disabling LPM.
> >
> > Sarah Sharp
> >
> > >8-------------------------------------------------------------8<
> >
> > USB 3.0 devices are required to support Link PM.  However, some of
> > them don't support U1, or don't support U2, or don't support either.
> > There is no way in the USB 3.0 specification to say that a device
> > doesn't support U1 or U2, so these devices set the U1 or U2 exit
> > latency to the maximum possible values (10ms for U1, 2047ms for U2).
>
> It still failed for me. :-(

Can you send me the `sudo lsusb -v` output for the device?  Also, please
see if you can get a new cable and retest.

If that still fails, the next step might be to add code to the USB core
to disable LPM for the device if too many URBs fail with transfer errors.

Sarah Sharp