Re: [RFT] usb: Fix TX errors on devices with unsupported LPM states.

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 12:15:46PM -0700, Sarah Sharp wrote:
> Hi Don,
>
> The WD drive arrived today, but I can't reproduce your I/O errors on
> 3.6.  I didn't try with 3.5 yet.  However, I did notice that the device
> really doesn't want to enter U1, but it will enter U2.

I did update the firmware but I think I had the problem before that
happened.  Also I don't use the VIA hub anymore.  I plugged the harddrive
directly into my mahobay system's usb3 port and see the problem.

> Can you test the following patch with your device and see if it helps?
> If that doesn't work, I suggest getting a high-quality new cable and
> seeing if that helps the transfer issues.
>
> Gabor, this might fix your issues as well, and should allow your system
> to consume less power than completely disabling LPM.
>
> Sarah Sharp

> USB 3.0 devices are required to support Link PM.  However, some of
> them don't support U1, or don't support U2, or don't support either.
> There is no way in the USB 3.0 specification to say that a device
> doesn't support U1 or U2, so these devices set the U1 or U2 exit
> latency to the maximum possible values (10ms for U1, 2047ms for U2).

It still failed for me. :-(

Cheers,
Don