Re: [usb-storage] Re: usb3 fails to write when using usb3 hub in usb3 port

Adrian,

I think that the suggestion about checking the power supply, the cabling,
the grounding screws, and anything of like nature that has been omitted
from this list is a very good idea. If successful it would eliminate
the problem for you, as well as resolving the mystery. Unresolved
mysteries are unpleasant for the user, and at least equally unpleasant
for a developer.

I have seen hardware do really weird things, myself. As a trivial example,
once a local computer shop gave me a motherboard which had been returned
because of booting problems. I was told that it had been brought in twice
by the customer. No problem had been detected in the shop; they had
replaced it to make a customer happy. I brought the board home. It was a
hot summer day. I put it on the floor, hooked up a spare power supply, and
it booted. No problem. I left it sitting there overnight. The next
morning, I tried it again. Dead. But in the evening it came to life again.
Guessing, I looked at the solder joints under the power connector on the
board. One of them looked suspicious. So I fired up the soldering iron and
put a dab of fresh solder on it. After that, the board was in use for
years and never had the booting problem again. The reason that the problem
was not detected was that it was the middle of the summer in Alabama, and
when the computer was brought to the shop it was put in a car for the
trip. The board got warm enough for the solder in that joint to expand
enough for startup, while en route to the shop.

Thus, I definitely do encourage you to check for hardware or cabling
problems before deciding to buy additional equipment as a workaround.

Good luck,

Theodore Kilgore