Re: [Libusbx-devel] libusbx-1.0.13 has been released

Hello,

2012/9/24 Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 08:35:07PM +0100, Pete Batard wrote:
>> On 2012.09.24 20:31, Greg KH wrote:
>> >No one delivered any such "fix", all I got was a bunch of bug reports
>> >this morning from the distros saying that usbutils was suddenly broken.
>> >That shows that libusbx is really the problem here, and that maybe I
>> >shouldn't depend on it anymore.
>>
>> Could you please have a look at the release note that was posted on
>> this list? We did our best to ensure the possibility of breakage
>> featured prominently.
>
> I saw that, but again, you are forcing users of your library, to change
> their code due to your API change.  You are changing the API without
> changing the library version, which is a very bad thing to do.

We could have changed the library version. But that would not have
changed the situation much. usbutils would still fail to build with
libusbx-1.0.13 without a source code change in usbutils.

The ABI has not changed so already compiled applications will continue
to work. No real need for a new library version.

The API has changed so applications _need_ to change their source code
to adapt to the new API.
So unless you do NOT want to move usbutils to the new libusbx API you
will have to patch usbutils.

> Yes, I understand you wanted to fix an old typo in a structure, so fix
> it and bump the version number of the library if it is that important.

Bumping the .so version number would not solve build the problem. See
above. Or I missed something.

> If it's not important enough to change the version number of the
> library, then maybe you shouldn't have made that change.

I agree. We should have waited until version 1.1 or 2.0 of libusbx
before making this API change.

Maybe we should release RIGHT NOW a 1.0.14 version of libusbx with
just the API change reverted and postpone the change to version 1.1 or
2.0.
At that time (version 1.1 or 2.0) it will be more clear that libusbx
is no more a drop in replacement of libusb and that the API and/or ABI
can change.

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau