Re: USB port power off discussion

Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > Is there already an API for power domains there? What does it look like?
>
> Yes, there is, as it turns out. :-)
>
> Please see drivers/base/power/domain.c and include/linux/pm_domain.h.
>
> Of course, this only covers a limited set of use cases at the moment, but I
> think it's better to extend the existing code to cover more of them than to
> add new code of similar functionality.
>
> There is no user space interface right now, because there was no demand and
> because it is not clear what should be exposed and how.

For context I maintain libusb. There was a fork some time ago and Red
Hat promoting the fork along with random propaganda made many distros
all silently switch to libusbx, but libusb is still around and
continues being developed.

For starters I would like an API that sets a power domain on or off.

I think that would be the simplest API, and maybe a good place to
start. There is definitely room for more complex API as well, getting
into various policies and so on, but to begin with just on/off is
fine IMO.

As I mentioned before in the thread I have no preference whatsoever
for what the API is, but I do want something that can give back a
useful error in case of failure. I'm not sure if sysfs can do that.

//Peter