Re: USB port power off discussion

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012, Peter Stuge wrote:

> For starters I would like an API that sets a power domain on or off.
>
> I think that would be the simplest API, and maybe a good place to
> start. There is definitely room for more complex API as well, getting
> into various policies and so on, but to begin with just on/off is
> fine IMO.
>
> As I mentioned before in the thread I have no preference whatsoever
> for what the API is, but I do want something that can give back a
> useful error in case of failure. I'm not sure if sysfs can do that.

It's not clear that any API is needed.  If all the devices in the
domain are set to be powered off then the whole domain will be shut
down; otherwise it will remain powered.

Therefore all we need is an API for individual devices, not for
domains.  Of course, userspace may want to know which devices all
belong to the same power domain.

Alan Stern