Re: USB port power off discussion

On Sunday, September 23, 2012, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > > Is there already an API for power domains there? What does it look like?
> >
> > Yes, there is, as it turns out. :-)
> >
> > Please see drivers/base/power/domain.c and include/linux/pm_domain.h.
> >
> > Of course, this only covers a limited set of use cases at the moment, but I
> > think it's better to extend the existing code to cover more of them than to
> > add new code of similar functionality.
> >
> > There is no user space interface right now, because there was no demand and
> > because it is not clear what should be exposed and how.
>
> For context I maintain libusb. There was a fork some time ago and Red
> Hat promoting the fork along with random propaganda made many distros
> all silently switch to libusbx, but libusb is still around and
> continues being developed.
>
> For starters I would like an API that sets a power domain on or off.

Unfortunately, in general doing that from user space at random time for
some domains may render the system unusable, so I don't think we can
provide such an interface.

> I think that would be the simplest API, and maybe a good place to
> start. There is definitely room for more complex API as well, getting
> into various policies and so on, but to begin with just on/off is
> fine IMO.
>
> As I mentioned before in the thread I have no preference whatsoever
> for what the API is, but I do want something that can give back a
> useful error in case of failure. I'm not sure if sysfs can do that.

It can in general, but that depends on the use case.  That's why I'm
generally a bit cautious about user space interfaces.

Thanks,
Rafael