Re: Question regarding kernel 3.5 dropping support for usbfs

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 09:40:15AM -0400, Unknown wrote:
> (trimmed out some of the older details)
>
> On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 16:43 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 01:38:56PM -0400, Unknown wrote:
> > >
> > > To clarify, manually running the fxload command myself is not desirable,
> > > I'd like the firmware to load when I plugin the device.
> >
> > I agree, it should just work, and udev should handle it just fine.  What
> > changed to cause it to break?  Your udev rule?  If so, what distro are
> > you using that doesn't handle devtmpfs properly?
> >

> I am using Gentoo Linux. When I moved to the 3.5.0 kernel, the firmware
> midisport 2x2, the firmware and udev rule came from a very old download
> - I have been carrying it forward with my systems for the past 5 or 6
> years. To my knowledge the midisport firmware is not a part of any
> distribution.

That's not good that is isn't a part of the distro, why not submit it so
it will be properly supported?  That will fix up the problem so that it
works for everyone.

The Gentoo developers can help you out with this, if it's needed.  Odds
are, you probably should just put the firmware into the lib/firmware
directory and then the default firmware udev loading rule will kick in
and handle it properly.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h