Re: Question regarding kernel 3.5 dropping support for usbfs

On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 07:30 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 10:03:49AM -0400, Unknown wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I recently upgraded from 3.3 to 3.5 kernel (gentoo). A USB device
> > (Midisport2x2) depends on firmware loading using fxload from a udev
> > rules script. Without usbfs, can someone give me a recommendation for
> > replacing the udev script to load the firmware?
> >
> > At the moment, I compiled the 3.5 kernel with CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y
> > and can manually run /sbin/fxload using the dev path but that is not a
> > desirable long-term solution.
>
> Why is that not a long-term solution?  It's what all the other distros
> switched to years ago.

To clarify, manually running the fxload command myself is not desirable,
I'd like the firmware to load when I plugin the device.

> If you don't want to use devtmpfs, then create the device nodes
> statically, or use udev to create them.

If using devtmpfs is the  go-forward solution then should I research how
to  pass the devtmpfs path to the udev rule?

Or is there something newer in kernel 3.5 for loading firmware to
replace the use of fxload and udev rules?  I see some options in the
kernel, would exploring their use apply to my situation?
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE=""

> greg k-h

Thanks for the reply and any further suggestions,
Andrew