Re: Question regarding kernel 3.5 dropping support for usbfs

(trimmed out some of the older details)

On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 16:43 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 01:38:56PM -0400, Unknown wrote:
> >
> > To clarify, manually running the fxload command myself is not desirable,
> > I'd like the firmware to load when I plugin the device.
>
> I agree, it should just work, and udev should handle it just fine.  What
> changed to cause it to break?  Your udev rule?  If so, what distro are
> you using that doesn't handle devtmpfs properly?

I am using Gentoo Linux. When I moved to the 3.5.0 kernel, the firmware
midisport 2x2, the firmware and udev rule came from a very old download
- I have been carrying it forward with my systems for the past 5 or 6
years. To my knowledge the midisport firmware is not a part of any
distribution.

> > If using devtmpfs is the  go-forward solution then should I research how
> > to  pass the devtmpfs path to the udev rule?
>
> It should already be working with the default set of udev rules, right?

I am only a novice at udev rules, as they normally just work so I
haven't had to modify them. But my guess is that without the usbfs the
path to my device is not being passed to the udev RUN command. From my
limited reading, I think the device path is set in an environment
variable. Maybe there is some simple tweak to the udev rule to make it
work?

It sounds like this is the next logical line of inquiry for me. In case
anyone here can help, below is the udev rule for my device. I will
search more on this udev rule topic later today.

Thanks again for the insights.

# midisport-firmware.rules - udev rules for loading firmware into
MidiSport devices

# DEVPATH=="/*.0" selects interface 0 only
# (some udev versions don't work with SYSFS{bInterfaceNumber})

# MidiSport 2x2
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", DEVPATH=="/*.0",
ENV{PRODUCT}=="763/1001/*", RUN+="/sbin/fxload
-s /usr/local/share/usb/maudio/MidiSportLoader.ihx
-I /usr/local/share/usb/maudio/MidiSport2x2.ihx"

-Andrew