Re: your mail

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Ahmad Jauhari
<kyotaru.sawamura@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Ahmad,

 General compilation steps are as follows,

Download the kernel source from kernel.org, extract the source in the
home directory go to the source and then follow the commands given,
you can use the default terminal for compilation.

Step 1: Configure the Linux Kernel using the commands,

Be sure you have the following libraries before compiling the kernel,

qt3-dev-tools,libqt3-mt-dev,libncurses5,libncurses5-dev
(Sorry these are for ubuntu libraries just google it if you want it
for your distribution) :)

make config
provides you with detailed configuration option, not recommended for beginners.

make xconfig
A user interface for configuring the kernel.

make gconfig
A GTK+ interface for kernel configuration.

Other options also exists,

make defconfig
default configuration for x86.

make oldconfig
making old configuration

if you want to use the existing configuration use the following command,

cp -vi /boot/config-`uname -r` .config

Step 2: Compiling the Linux kernel.

make
This command is used to compile the Linux Kernel, It takes time so be
patient, also you can use the -j option to lessen the time.

make -j n,  where n represents the number of processors you are having.

although you don't have to be root user to do.

Step 3: Compiling the modules

make modules_install
compiles the modules.
root privileges required, run this command as root user.

Step 4: Installing the Kernel.

make install
Here u install the Linux kernel, root user required.

Step 5: Creating the initrd.

To run the kernel we will require the initrd (also known as the
initial ramdisk)

mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-<kernel-version-u-require>
you must append the appropritate kernel version to the initrd image u
are creating for example if you are compiling for 2.6.24 then the
command is as follows,

mkinitramfs -o initrd.img-2.6.24 2.6.24

After creating the initrd image move the image into the /boot
drirectory and update the grub using the command.

update-grub.

These are the general compilation steps, if you configuring the kernel
for the particular distribution then steps may vary, for ubuntu follow
the link,

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile.

>> There is a free book online, called "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" that you
> can read
>> that should answer all of these questions for you.  If not, take a look at
> the
>> kernelnewbies.org site, between the two of them, it should get you up and
> running
>> properly.
>
> i will check them out.

Read the above mentioned book that will help you.
I hope i have helped you. :).

--
Regards,
Anil Nair