Re: your mail

On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 09:41:59AM +0700, Ahmad Jauhari wrote:
> > Do you mean the "generic" usb serial driver?  If so, ick, never use
> > that for a real device.  See the archives on this list a few weeks ago
> > for detailed reasons why.
>
> yep. that's the one i'm talking about. i'm curious. can I make use of the
> option module for the device by recompile it and adds the vendor and product
> code on the module so it will recognize the device without having to bind it
> manually. or should i go for kernel upgrades instead.

Are you sure your device works for the option driver?

What is the vendor and device id of your devices?

> > It's on the kernel.org site.
>
> let's say i have downloaded the new kernel. how am I supposed to compile it
> to replace the current one. is there any tutorial about compiling a kernel
> to replace a currently installed kernel? i'm totally blind on this.

There is a free book online, called "Linux Kernel in a Nutshell" that
you can read that should answer all of these questions for you.  If not,
take a look at the kernelnewbies.org site, between the two of them, it
should get you up and running properly.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h