Re: more than 255 usbserial interfaces

Bjørn Mork <bjorn@xxxxxxx> writes:
>> Italo Migotto <imigotto@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> they are modems. yes, I only use one of the interfaces, but couldn´t
>>> find a way to unbind individual interfaces, only the whole device.
>>
>> You can unbind individual ports like this:
>>
>>  echo ttyUSB0 > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/<drivername>/unbind
>
> Sorry.  That didn't work as expected.  Should be fixed...

... or maybe not.

Took a quick peek at drivers/usb/serial/bus.c and became more confused.
usb_serial_device_remove() will just unregister the tty device, and
usb_serial_device_probe() will the let you register it again.  So you
save a tty device, but unbinding from the usb-serial driver this way
doesn't free any other resources.  In particular not the precious ttyUSB
minors.

I find that behaviour a bit confusing.  I did expect that unbinding
would cause all resources related to the unbound port to be freed and
made available for other drivers and/or devices.

But I don't see any way this can be changed either.  If we propagate the
unbind to the usb driver, then there is no way to keep usb-serial "bind"
working like before.  And I guess that's not acceptable...

And the tools to do what I want are already there:  Just unbind from the
usb driver instead of the usb-serial driver.  So better leave it as it is.

This is probably even already documented somewhere :-)

Bjørn