Re: Making release tarballs of usbip-utils

On Fri, Jun 01, 2012 at 08:35:55AM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:37:55 +0800
> Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 05:08:46PM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:

> > > Because not doing "the right thing" tends to come back and bite me
> > > in future.
> > >
> > > What if upstream finally realizes that too and switches back
> > > to separate tarballs. Why did not the package upgrade from 3.4.x to
> > > 1.2.x? Why are suddenly glib and the other usbip-utils pulled in
> > > bye the build scripts for kernel? Why do i need 300MB free space to
> > > build the tiny usbip-utils?
> > >
> > > I normally end up doing releases for upstream. (seems like make
> > > dist-xz is not including all header files btw) It's no problem if
> > > you maintain <20 packages to spend 5 mins instead of 6-7 seconds for
> > > upgrading, but extremely annoying when you maintain 1000+.
> >
> > I understand, but if you change your packaging to just pull directly
> > from the kernel tree, like the perf package does, all of your problems
> > will be solved, right?
>
> I'd still need to make a snapshot tarball for the caches. and since gz
> stores timestamp the next person using the same build script will get
> checksum error. (this is how all this started in first place) or I will
> redesign the build scripts to not store and check upstream source
> integrity which again will lead to another interesting problems...

I have no idea what you are referring to here at all, sorry.

> The github generation tend to be too lazy to do releases. I usually
> tend to end up do the releases for upstream and store at some archive.

The Linux kernel developers do not use github for the kernel development
process.

> > > I don't have perf yet.
> >
> > It's in the kernel tree, you already have it :)
>
> Like i already have usbip-utils. not packaged.

Then create a package for it for your distro.  I don't understand the
problem here.

> > > That's why I suggested a git hook that does it for you so no-one
> > > needs to remember do it.
> >
> > Where exactly would that git hook reside?
>
> On the usbip-utils' maintainers box, on git push or similar. Looking at
> who is doing the version number change, that would be matt mooney. I'd
> say its his responsability to do this.

No, again, it's part of the kernel tree, build it from there as a
package if you need it that way.

Again, look at how distros package up the perf tool, and do the same if
you want to create a package for the usbip-utils tools.

thanks,

greg k-h