Re: Making release tarballs of usbip-utils

On Wed, 30 May 2012 20:31:06 +0800
Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:20:50AM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Would it be possible to create a git hook that looks for usbip-utils
> > version number changes (like this:
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/7/7/62) and then run "make dist-xz" and
> > uploads the tarball to some http server? Maybe some place under
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/usb/
> >
> > That would be *very* helpful for distro packagers.
>
> Ideally, we should release this as a separate tarball, as you have
> pointed out.
>
> But, why not just build it directly from the kernel source,
> incrementing the version number with every kernel release,

Because not doing "the right thing" tends to come back and bite me in
future.

What if upstream finally realizes that too and switches back
to separate tarballs. Why did not the package upgrade from 3.4.x to
1.2.x? Why are suddenly glib and the other usbip-utils pulled in bye the build
scripts for kernel? Why do i need 300MB free space to build the tiny
usbip-utils?

I normally end up doing releases for upstream. (seems like make
dist-xz is not including all header files btw) It's no problem if you
maintain <20 packages to spend 5 mins instead of 6-7 seconds for
upgrading, but extremely annoying when you maintain 1000+.

> like you are probably doing today with other tools in the kernel
> source tree, like 'perf'?

I don't have perf yet.

> That way no one has to make any changes or remember to upload
> anything.

That's why I suggested a git hook that does it for you so no-one needs
to remember do it.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Thanks!