Re: Making release tarballs of usbip-utils

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:20:50AM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would it be possible to create a git hook that looks for usbip-utils
> version number changes (like this: https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/7/7/62)
> and then run "make dist-xz" and uploads the tarball to some http server?
> Maybe some place under http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/usb/
>
> That would be *very* helpful for distro packagers.

Ideally, we should release this as a separate tarball, as you have
pointed out.

But, why not just build it directly from the kernel source, incrementing
the version number with every kernel release, like you are probably
doing today with other tools in the kernel source tree, like 'perf'?

That way no one has to make any changes or remember to upload anything.

thanks,

greg k-h