Re: Making release tarballs of usbip-utils

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:37:55 +0800
Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 05:08:46PM +0200, Natanael Copa wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 May 2012 20:31:06 +0800
> > Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Ideally, we should release this as a separate tarball, as you have
> > > pointed out.
> > >
> > > But, why not just build it directly from the kernel source,
> > > incrementing the version number with every kernel release,
> >
> > Because not doing "the right thing" tends to come back and bite me
> > in future.
> >
> > What if upstream finally realizes that too and switches back
> > to separate tarballs. Why did not the package upgrade from 3.4.x to
> > 1.2.x? Why are suddenly glib and the other usbip-utils pulled in
> > bye the build scripts for kernel? Why do i need 300MB free space to
> > build the tiny usbip-utils?
> >
> > I normally end up doing releases for upstream. (seems like make
> > dist-xz is not including all header files btw) It's no problem if
> > you maintain <20 packages to spend 5 mins instead of 6-7 seconds for
> > upgrading, but extremely annoying when you maintain 1000+.
>
> I understand, but if you change your packaging to just pull directly
> from the kernel tree, like the perf package does, all of your problems
> will be solved, right?

I'd still need to make a snapshot tarball for the caches. and since gz
stores timestamp the next person using the same build script will get
checksum error. (this is how all this started in first place) or I will
redesign the build scripts to not store and check upstream source
integrity which again will lead to another interesting problems...

The github generation tend to be too lazy to do releases. I usually
tend to end up do the releases for upstream and store at some archive.

> > > like you are probably doing today with other tools in the kernel
> > > source tree, like 'perf'?
> >
> > I don't have perf yet.
>
> It's in the kernel tree, you already have it :)

Like i already have usbip-utils. not packaged.

> > > That way no one has to make any changes or remember to upload
> > > anything.
> >
> > That's why I suggested a git hook that does it for you so no-one
> > needs to remember do it.
>
> Where exactly would that git hook reside?

On the usbip-utils' maintainers box, on git push or similar. Looking at
who is doing the version number change, that would be matt mooney. I'd
say its his responsability to do this.

> greg k-h

-nc