Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I was just about to suggest that.  I think qcserial's probing is not
> flexible enough.  We should have hints that existing devices are Gobi1K
> or Gobi2K and thus assume the current code during probe, and then those
> devices that don't match the generic Gobi layouts get per-interface
> matching.
>
> So we'd have two sets of matching:
>
> 1) VID/PID for "plain" Gobi devices like we do now, with hints for G1K
> and G2K+ that the probe function interprets the same way it does now
> 2) VID/PID + intf# for devices that aren't plain Gobi liek the Sierra
> MC7700
>
> Does that sound like a good plan?  That way we don't have to duplicate
> the existing Gobi card entries 3 times each.

Sounds good to me.

> Ok.  Do you happen to remember if it supported HIP/CnS in Sierra-mode?

Don't know about CnS, but isn't HIP a pre-requisite for DirectIP?  Not
that I really know anything about this.  The firmware specifies the
default DirectIP profile as:

 HIP  DM    NMEA  AT    MDM1  NIC1  MS

I have no idea about the actual meaning of these, although some of them
are obvious.

>> And then let the probe use the .driver_info to figure out the serial
>> interface layout.  This would allow the probe function to be simplified
>> a bit as well.
>
> Yeah, though instead of the crackrock custom driver info we always have
> to do for non-Gobi devices here, I'd rather use the patch you added for
> matching with USB interface #.

OK for me.  That would put it in 3.6, but there is no hurry so that's
not a problem.

Bjørn