Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices

Olli Helin <olli.helin@xxxxxx> writes:

>> Nevermind, I found some drivers for it.  It does indeed appear to be a
>> Gobi-derived device, as you've found from the CodeAurora drivers.  It
>> should be driven by qcserial and qmi_wwan.  Can you grab 'lsusb -v -d
>> 1c9e:9801' after modeswitch for me?  We need to find out what class of
>> gobi it is.
>>
>> The rough mapping between codeaurora drivers and the upstream is:
>>
>> QCUSBNet = qmi_wwan
>> QCSerial = qcserial
>>
>> Dan
>>

> What is the reason that Gobi-derived devices should never be used with
> the option driver? Is there some kind of a risk of hickup, speed
> problems or what? I'll try the qcserial later to see if the modem
> works with it also.

I believe the main reason is that it will bind to the correct serial
interfaces and nothing else, while the option driver will bind to almost
anything - including any QMI/wwan interface.

>     bNumInterfaces          6

But that won't work with qcserial. It requires bNumInterfaces to be 1, 3
or 4.  So use option, but make sure to blacklist the interface used for
QMI/wwan.  I'm guessing that's interface #3, but please test.

Hmm, maybe the qcserial driver should disregard any storage interfaces
when counting interfaces?  Seems like a number of these devices come
with both a card reader and driver CD enabled in modem mode as well.

Bjørn