Making qcserial more flexible (was: Re: USB Serial Converter driver and multiple devices)

Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I was just about to suggest that.  I think qcserial's probing is not
> flexible enough.  We should have hints that existing devices are Gobi1K
> or Gobi2K and thus assume the current code during probe, and then those
> devices that don't match the generic Gobi layouts get per-interface
> matching.
>
> So we'd have two sets of matching:
>
> 1) VID/PID for "plain" Gobi devices like we do now, with hints for G1K
> and G2K+ that the probe function interprets the same way it does now
> 2) VID/PID + intf# for devices that aren't plain Gobi liek the Sierra
> MC7700
>
> Does that sound like a good plan?  That way we don't have to duplicate
> the existing Gobi card entries 3 times each.

I've now tried to code this a few times, but am not satisfied with the
result.  There are too many decision levels involved in the probe, which
I'd really like to compress to a single switch statement:

 1) number of interfaces
    2) interface number
       3) device type

And I don't have a single Gobi device to test this with, which pretty
much guarantees that I will screw up something if I change more than a
few characters...

I'll follow up with the patches I've currenly got, which works for the
Sierra Wireless MC7710, as a basis for further discussion. Would
appreciate it if someone else (with one or more Gobi devices) could look
at the patches and preferably do something better.

Bjørn