Re: Fwd: Seeking support to get USB Host Interface (Mass Storage) working with Linux 2.6.35

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Umakanta Patro wrote:

> Dear Zoran / Alan,
>
> Thanks for your continous help.
>
> Sorry for a late response.
>
> I am able to use my mas storage device with my board.
> And this worked after I enabled all the codepage support and some
> architecture file changes related to my USB device configuration.
>
> But, now I have another issue, that is I have a USB-SATA bridge on my
> board which connects to the same USB Host port through a software DEMUX
> switch and it interfaces to normal SATA HDD.
>
> But, here I am able to get the USB-SATA bridge detected, but not the
> Hard disk connected to it. The Hard Disk has a single partition of 1GB
> FAT32 formatted.
>
> Below is the console message related to the Hard disk:
> > usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04c5, idProduct=2026
> > usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> > usb 1-2: Product: FUJITSU MB86C31
> > usb 1-2: Manufacturer: FUJITSU
> > usb 1-2: SerialNumber: 0000000000000001
> > scsi0 : usb-storage 1-2:1.0
> > scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access                                    PQ: 0
> > ANSI: 5
> > sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
> And when I manually create a node and try to mount it, it says No Medium
> found:
> > # /busybox mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1
> > # mkdir /mnt/usb/
> > # mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb/
> > mount: No medium found
>
> So, do you think any other configurations I need to take care for
> getting this functionality working.
>
> Please help me with regards to this.

You may need to patch your kernel to get it to work with this USB-SATA
bridge.  There are three patch files to apply:

	http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=132622113721585&w=2
	http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=132622116421588&w=2
	http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=132622117121590&w=2

If this doesn't help, send a usbmon trace showing what happens when you
connect the USB-SATA bridge.  Follow the instructions in
Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt.

Alan Stern