Re: coping with poor usb implementations

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012, Tim Coote wrote:

> Ok. It looks to me like I hadn't got usbfs_snoop working for that last extract from the syslog.
>
> So, I built this script to set everything up:
>
> I rebooted the computer and ran the script, after sunset with the inverter connected.
>
> I then let the sun come up,

Sounds a little messianic, there.  :-)

>  stopped the wiresharks and saved their captured files. copied /var/log/messages and stripped out the noise with:
> sed '1,/Jan 16/d' messages |sed '1,/0\.000000/d' |egrep -v "NetworkManager|dhclient">filteredSyslog
>
> this leaves me with the following files in the current directory:
>
> -rw-------. 1 root root    16572 Jan 15 15:12 bus1PlugInPviForgotToRunUsbSnoop
> -rw-------. 1 root root   701780 Jan 17 07:50 bus1UsbPluggedInOverSunup
> -rw-------. 1 root root     4278 Jan 15 15:08 bus2PlugInPviForgotToRunUsbSnoop
> -rw-------. 1 root root      282 Jan 16 21:12 bus2UsbPluggedInOverSunup
> -rw-------. 1 root root     8495 Jan 15 15:13 bus3PlugInPviForgotToRunUsbSnoop
> -rw-------. 1 root root 13083260 Jan 17 07:50 bus3UsbPluggedInOverSunup
> -rw-------. 1 root root     1614 Jan 15 15:08 bus4PlugInPviForgotToRunUsbSnoop
> -rw-------. 1 root root      460 Jan 16 21:12 bus4UsbPluggedInOverSunup
> -rw-------. 1 root root      282 Jan 15 15:08 bus5PlugInPviForgotToRunUsbSnoop
> -rw-------. 1 root root      816 Jan 16 21:12 bus5UsbPluggedInOverSunup
> -rw-r--r--. 1 root root   628207 Jan 21 15:37 filteredSyslog
> -rw-------. 1 root root  2924156 Jan 17 21:02 messages
>
> Which, I think is the output that's needed. I think that the inverter
> must be plugged into bus3.

That's right.

>  So I'm dropping bus3UsbPluggedInOverSunup
> and filteredSyslog into my public folder again.
> (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10589123/filteredSyslog and
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10589123/bus3UsbPluggedInOverSunup
>
> When I look through filteredSyslog, I cannot see what other program's
> driving the device. How can I find what's happening as /dev/ttyUSB0
> appears. Should I be running lsof or similar to get a view on what's
> waiting for the usb device to come up?  I'm guessing that whatever it
> is is waiting on some file to appear/change or on a socket, but I
> don't know how to validate that, nor how to identify the program.

This time the trace does not show any other programs interfering with
the TUSB device.  Instead, the device starts up at 7:33:33 but doesn't
have sufficient power to run properly until 7:50:31.  After that there
is no problem until 11:51:43 -- maybe a cloud covered up the Sun
briefly.  Anyway, at that time the device disconnected but then
reconnected less than a second later.  At 16:33:21 there was another
disconnect, followed by a few failed reconnections.  And that's all.

No interference, no other programs barging in, and no failures that
can't be explained as insufficient power.  I don't know why this run
was different from the first wireshark trace.  Did you remove some
program or change a udev rule?

At any rate, the log and the trace don't point to any hardware or
software errors.  The only problem is lack of sunlight.

Alan Stern