Re: Can't suspend while IR receiver is plugged in

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Konstantin Svist wrote:

> Thanks Alan!
>
> After a few more hours of testing, I think I found the main source of
> the problem -- not surprisingly, it's the IR dongle itself. Apparently,
> it reacts to ambient light or some light source in the particular room.
> Long story short, the machine suspends fine when I cover the IR port
> with my hand but wakes up as soon as I remove my hand. This was probably
> the source of wakeups while it was trying to suspend. No idea why that
> made the machine freeze, though - maybe too many interrupts...?

Could be, but it still shouldn't happen.  If you want to look into it
any further, go right ahead...

> There is still some weird behavior I want to ask about:
> While testing the dongle on the 'problematic' machine, I have to run
> both "echo USB# >/proc/acpi/wakeup" and "echo enabled >
> /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-1/power/wakeup" to get the dongle to wake from

/proc/acpi/wakeup is deprecated.  Instead you should do something like
"echo enabled >/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb3/../power/wakeup".  In recent
kernels this has now become the default, so you shouldn't have to do
this step at all.

> remote button press. But when I try it on my laptop, "echo
> USB1>/proc/acpi/wakeup" is enough and
> /sys/bus/usb/devices/3-1/power/wakeup doesn't do anything -- and the
> laptop wakes no matter which button was pressed on the remote.

I'm confused by your description.  Firstly, is the dongle's sysfs path
3-1 on both machines?  Secondly, what button presses on the remote will
wake up the problematic machine?  Thirdly, did you check whether the
dongle's behavior is the same regardless of whether
/sys/bus/usb/devices/3-1/power/wakeup contains "enabled" or "disabled"?

> Does this make any sense? Is this difference in behavior caused by the
> difference in the BIOS?

It doesn't make much sense, and it probably has nothing to do with the
BIOS.  But I can't really tell because of all the things you left out.

Alan Stern