Re: UAS support for hcd without sg support

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 11:24:42AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Felipe Balbi wrote:
>
> > > However, keep in mind that not all HCDs need to support UAS.  Unless
> > > somebody makes a device with UAS and without BOT, we afford to make UAS
> > > unavailable on host controllers without SG support -- expecially if
> > > those controllers can't go any faster than full speed anyway.
> >
> > MUSB can go up to highspeed and it won't support SGs easily. At least
> > not with the internal Inventra DMA Engine.
>
> Okay, so there are some hardware setups that won't go as fast as they
> might.  The lossage isn't all that great, because even at high speed
> UAS isn't that much faster than BOT.
>
> (Although, I admit, it would be nice to have some benchmark figures to
> back up this claim...)

When I measured our (I mean Linux's) implementation of UASP and
g_mass_storage were behaving quite the same throghput-wise. But then
again, device and host were quite powerful machines (quadcore with 16GiB
RAM). I guess when CPU(s) is(are) busy, that memcpy which we save when
using VFS's SG list will pay off.

--
balbi