Re: UAS support for hcd without sg support

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 11:21:15AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > > When the most commonly used HCDs all support SG, that should be good
> > > enough.  UAS can refuse to bind if the host controller doesn't work
> > > with SG.  And similarly, in that situation usb-storage should accept a
> > > device that has both BOT and UAS altsettings.
> > >
> > > It would be nice to have a Kconfig variable (CONFIG_USB_HCD_HAS_SG or
> > > something like that) which would be selected by all the HC drivers
> > > supporting SG, and which UAS would depend on.  That way it would be
> > > impossible to build the UAS driver on systems where none of the HCDs
> > > will work with it.
> >
> > I'm not sure that will create a nice user experience, specially when a
> > user decides he wants to back up some data from his old PC (which is
> > OHCI only) to his brand new USB3.0 UASP Storage Device.
>
> Why wouldn't the user have a nice experience?
>
> > Well, he can't expect nice throughput anyway, but he will definitely
> > expect it to work since that's one of USB's flagships: Plug&Play.
>
> Why wouldn't it work?  UAS storage devices also have to support BOT.
> Otherwise they wouldn't work with Windows XP.

Indeed, it's even very clear on UASP specification:

"For [USB2] backward compatibility, the device shall present [BOT] as
alternate interface zero (primary) and [UAS] as alternate interface one
(secondary). A device which does not need backward compatibility with
[BOT] shall present [UAS] as alternate interface zero. In [USB2]
systems, the [BOT] driver or an associated filter driver may need to
issue a SET INTERFACE request for alternate interface one and then allow
the [UAS] driver to load."

So a device which does not need backward compatibility is that which
will not bind. We are actually doing a lot by supporting UASP on USB2
systems ;-) Nevermind my concern :-)

--
balbi