Re: UAS support for hcd without sg support

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> > Okay, so there are some hardware setups that won't go as fast as they
> > might.  The lossage isn't all that great, because even at high speed
> > UAS isn't that much faster than BOT.
> >
> > (Although, I admit, it would be nice to have some benchmark figures to
> > back up this claim...)
>
> When I measured our (I mean Linux's) implementation of UASP and
> g_mass_storage were behaving quite the same throghput-wise. But then
> again, device and host were quite powerful machines (quadcore with 16GiB
> RAM). I guess when CPU(s) is(are) busy, that memcpy which we save when
> using VFS's SG list will pay off.

Well, what matters more is the difference when using common USB-3 disk
hardware, not a Linux gadget.

And even then, the saving doesn't come so much from buffer copying.  A
non-SG BOT transfer shouldn't do any more copies than a UAS transfer.
The saving comes from not having to allocate and submit a whole bunch
of URBs for each transfer, from not using a separate kernel thread, and
from having more endpoints (which allows greater concurrency of
transfers).

Alan Stern