Re: USB3 high-speed write test failure with WDC MyBook 3TB drive

At 03:36 PM 11/14/2011 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>Not for USB 3.0 stuff.  I would not recommend it
>at all, and as proof of that, I ported 900+
>patches to the .32 kernel at one time just to get
>working USB 3.0 support.  Not anything I would
>want a distro to do in the end nor want any user
>to have to use.

I believe you, no doubt.

>Please try the 3.1 kernel and let us know what
>happens.

However, per the clear statement in the initial
post, it is known to fail under 3.1.1:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=6871586#6871586

Not going to work on it till enough
time has passed for a few more
eyeballs to see the post and for the
commercial vendors to respond.
If nobody has seen it or has any ideas
I can spend time working it next Sunday.

It's trivial for anyone with a USB3-capable
drive to attempt reproduction, and known to fail
with radically different system hardware.

Just run

  dd bs=1024k if=/dev/zero of=test oflag=direct

The drive is configured with no partition
table, one big LVM2 volume (no MD or LVM
RAID), EXT4 file system, half full at 1.4TB.
Write rate peaks around 110 million bytes-
per-second.

One possible factor that just occurred to me is
that because the drive has no partitions
and because the 3TB drive has 4K sectors,
throughput may be much higher than is typically
achieved.  I've seen misaligned 4K blocking
cut transfer rates by as much as 80%.  Could
easily be a firmware glitch in the enclosure
USB3-to-SATA module.  It translates 4K
virtual sector addressing to 512 byte sector
addressing--the actual drive in the
enclosure is a WD30EZRSDTL or possibly a
WD30EZRX.

http://wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=866&language=1

The other individual seeing this reproduced
it with more than one smaller drive including
an old 150GB Raptor drive.  Perhaps his USB3
enclosure's interface module is of the same
manufacture as the MyBook (i.e. a WD OEM
card--seems likely as not) and is the villain
in the piece.  Wasn't able to determine this
in the conversation.

I'm itching to purchase three of Seagate's
new 4TB USB3 drives (goal is a mirrored
Bacula backup with one drive rotated
offsite), but can't justify spending the $$
till I know it will work.  A test run with
an alternate USB3 enclosure would help narrow
it.  Unfortunately USB3 is too new to pick
up something on eBay for cheap.