RE: [RFC 1/2] fsl/usb: Add UTMI PHY support for 85xx platforms

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastian Andrzej Siewior [mailto:bigeasy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:56 PM
To: Mehresh Ramneek-B31383
Cc: linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; gregkh@xxxxxxx; Zang Roy-R61911
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/2] fsl/usb: Add UTMI PHY support for 85xx platforms

Mehresh Ramneek-B31383 wrote:

> [Ramneek]: No I cannot as different SoCs of BOOK-E family have
> different IP block versions

There is no .dts file for P5020/P3041/P101x in upstream tree. Why this not noted it the device tree there are different IP blocks? This worked well for the network driver and crypto driver.

[Ramneek]: Yes, the code still needs to be moved upstream. That's why I sent USB code as RFC for review.
	     I couldn't get your second point. Please explain it again ...

The 83xx phy settings are in arch/powerpc/platforms/83xx/usb.c. What is wrong with that approach?

[Ramneek]: 83xx family had several sub-families whose usb controllers needed a lot of initialization (differing among various socs like clock settings, 		pin muxing, etc)
	     For BOOK-E socs, phy initialization is very easy with same usb clock settings across all socs. Also muxing now is moved to board files.
	     Hence phy initialization was moved to the fsl/usb driver.
     	     Only because some bits are changed for UTMI phy initialization for BOOK-E socs (having internal UTMI phy), I
	     have to introduce the code here only.

Sebastian