Re: usbserial driving multiple devices

On 3 May 2011 00:13, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 10:23:19AM -0700, Steve Calfee wrote:

>> <snip>
>> >
>> > Greg, thank you for the prompt response.
>> >
>> > The first device is a Novatel OEMV board. The vid/pid pair is [09d7:0100].
>> > The other device is a Javad Delta board. The vid/pid pair is [1a46:0000].
>
> What chip type are these devices? ÂWe need to know that as odds are the
> generic driver is _not_ the proper way to control these devices. ÂThe
> generic driver has no flow control, or any type of line settings, which
> I think you will want to properly handle these devices, right?

Greg, I should clarify I'm not the manufacturer of these devices, just
a user. So I'm not sure what "chip type" they are.
I can tell you that they're both USB2.0, that both use no hardware or
software flow control, and that both are 8N1 (8 data bits, no parity,
1 stop bit).
I can also tell you that Javad customer support advice for using their
device on Linux was actually to use the usbserial module.
Tell me if there's anything else I can try and find out for you!

>> > However, I guess I will see this in the next kernel version. Is there
>> > anything I can do now, to be able to work with both?
>> >

>> Buried in the /sys file system is a driver for your type device.
>
> Huh? ÂWhich one?
>
>> Check gout the new_id entry, it allows you to assign new VID/PID to an
>> existing driver.
>
> Yes, you can add new device ids to the generic usb-serial driver after
> it has been loaded, that would work, but again, it's not the nicest way.

Thanks guys, I will try this.

>> Regards, Steve

Dimitrios Symeonidis
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping with
a mosquito!" - Amnesty International