Re: usbserial driving multiple devices

On 2 May 2011 18:05, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 05:52:03PM +0200, azimout@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I was wondering if there's a way for usbserial.ko to drive multiple
>> devices when it's loaded manually. Specifically, I want to connect to
>> professional GPS/GNSS receivers via USB and talk to them through a
>> serial connection over USB.
>>
>> I can make it work for each single one, through "sudo modprobe
>> usbserial vendor=xxxx product=yyyy", but I cannot run this command a
>> second time to make it create a second /dev/ttyUSB[09] device (this is
>> not true; I can run it a second time, and it exits without error, but
>> since the module is already loaded, it doesn't have the desired
>> effect).
>
> Ick, don't use the "generic" usb serial driver for anything "real" like
> a gps device, it's for debugging and one-off devices only.
>
> If you provide the product and device id, we can add it to the proper
> device driver for it. ÂWhat type of chip is this that you are talking
> to?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Greg, thank you for the prompt response.

The first device is a Novatel OEMV board. The vid/pid pair is [09d7:0100].
The other device is a Javad Delta board. The vid/pid pair is [1a46:0000].

However, I guess I will see this in the next kernel version. Is there
anything I can do now, to be able to work with both?

Dimitrios Symeonidis
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping with
a mosquito!" - Amnesty International