USB memory request using usb_control_msg question.

Hey guys, this should be a simple question. (I hope)

I'm using usb_control_msg to issue a "Memory Request" from my usb audio
device.  (In adherence with the USB Device Class Definition for Audio
Devices release 2.0 spec section 5.2.7.1 to be exact).

I issue a usb_control_msg in the READ direction, and I provide *data
pointing to a buffer to accept the data, and I provide wLength which is
the size of this buffer.

When I do this, the response is ALWAYS wLength, regardless of the data
size.  Is this correct?

Or should the device return the data that is has, and return the size of
that data instead of wLength every time?

Thanks!