cp210x vs cp2101?

I have a program that works with a device (10c4:ea60) that uses these drivers, but for those distros that load the cp210x, the device does not reply when my program sends it commands, although it is able to open and close the ttyUSB0 fine.

In every case I have tested the cp2101 works fine, but in every case (with exception of PCLinuxOS2010) the cp210x fails. Here are the tests I did on exact same machine with the exact same device, but on different disks with different distros:

cp2101 PASS Debian 4.0
cp210x FAIL Fedora 12
cp2101 PASS Mandriva 2008.0
cp210x FAIL Mint 8
cp210x PASS PCLinuxOS 2010
cp210x FAIL OpenSuse 11.2
cp2101 PASS Ubuntu 9.04

I am not in any position to tell users what distros to use. The cp210*.c programs are incomprehesible to me. Any ideas of what's the problem?