Re: USB memory request using usb_control_msg question.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Chris Furlough wrote:

> Hey guys, this should be a simple question. (I hope)
>
> I'm using usb_control_msg to issue a "Memory Request" from my usb audio
> device.  (In adherence with the USB Device Class Definition for Audio
> Devices release 2.0 spec section 5.2.7.1 to be exact).
>
> I issue a usb_control_msg in the READ direction, and I provide *data
> pointing to a buffer to accept the data, and I provide wLength which is
> the size of this buffer.
>
> When I do this, the response is ALWAYS wLength, regardless of the data
> size.  Is this correct?

Depends on what you mean.  When you say the response is wLength, do you
mean that usb_control_msg returns a value equal to wLength?  Or do you
mean that the device somehow sends a buffer containing the value of
wLength?  Or do you mean that the device sends a buffer whose length is
wLength?

usb_control_msg works correctly, so whatever it returns is what the
transfer actually did.

> Or should the device return the data that is has, and return the size of
> that data instead of wLength every time?

I don't know what the device is supposed to do.  Doesn't the Audio
class specification say?

Alan Stern