Re: USB memory request using usb_control_msg question.

Please keep all email traffic on the list.

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, Chris Furlough wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 12:52 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
>
> > Depends on what you mean.  When you say the response is wLength, do you
> > mean that usb_control_msg returns a value equal to wLength?  Or do you
> > mean that the device somehow sends a buffer containing the value of
> > wLength?  Or do you mean that the device sends a buffer whose length is
> > wLength?
>
> usb_control_msg returns wLength, and the buffer that I get back is
> wLength bytes long.

Which means the device has sent wLength bytes to the computer.

> > I don't know what the device is supposed to do.  Doesn't the Audio
> > class specification say?
>
> Nothing useful.  The only mention is section 5.2.7.1 of wLength is in
> Table 5-19 where it is defined as "Length of parameter block".
>
> Alan, more to the point, should the device only return the data that it
> has, and as such a result (say 10, if it only has 10 bytes of data), or
> should it return those 10 bytes of data as the first 10 bytes in a
> buffer that is wLength size, and always returns wLength?

As I said before, I don't know what the device is supposed to do.  What
does the audio class spec have to say about the response to a memory
request?

> I understand that what a device does is up to the device, but what is
> deemed to be the "correct" functionality?

It's up to the class spec.  The general rule is that devices should
only return as much data as they have available (up to a maximum of
wLength bytes), but individual classes are allowed to make exceptions
to the general rules.

Alan Stern