Re: MTP gadget driver

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Roger Quadros <roger.quadros@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/09/2010 02:46 PM, ext Linus Walleij wrote:
>>
>> 2010/10/7 Brett Werling<bwerl.dev@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> Does anyone know what the status is on the requirement of the MS OS
>>> Descriptor?  I'm trying to determine what the best course of action is
>>> for determining if a host supports MTP.
>>
>> If you want your device to work on older Windowses (up to Windows XP)
>> it is required. Given the proliferation of WinXPs you might be worried:
>>
>> http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/10/03/1240252/66-of-All-Windows-Users-Still-Use-Windows-XP
>>
>> With Windows Vista and forward it is not required, it will recognize the
>> new class code.
>>

> As far as I remember, XP will request for OS descriptor only if you use
> vendor specific class code (i.e. 0xFF).
> If you use PTP class code it will treat it as a PTP device and will not
> request for the OS descriptor.
>
> But better to verify what i'm saying.

I have more or less confirmed this in my development. When I used
g_mtp as-is, XP assumed it was a PTP device. This is not necessarily
desirable for me, so I will most likely have to go the MS OS
Descriptor route.

> --
> regards,
> -roger

Do you guys know of a place where I can find what is required by
Microsoft to use this descriptor? Do they just require some sort of "I
didn't change anything" agreement, or is there a licensing / royalty /
etc. issue attached? I couldn't find anything on the web so far, just
figured I'd ask people who might have experience in this.

Thanks,
Brett