Re: MTP gadget driver

Please excuse my inexperience, but I'm afraid I've run into some
issues when attempting to use the file descriptor.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Roger Quadros <roger.quadros@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09/27/2010 11:06 PM, ext Brett Werling wrote:
>>>

>> Can you describe to me how I begin to build around g_mtp in order to
>> get an MTP responder up and running?  It looks like I will just need
>> to read and write from specified file descriptors, however I'm unable
>> to determine if it is indeed that trivial. So far I have included to
>> the g_mtp patches into my working tree, and now I am unsure of how to
>> proceed. Can anyone give me guidance?
>>

> For a reference example see
> http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-middleware/buteo-mtp/trees/master/mts/transport/usb
>
> To summarize,
>
> There is only one file descriptor for the MTP interface.
>
> You have to use read/write/poll on the file.

The first order of business as I see it is to respond to
"GetDeviceInfo", correct? I assume that means I should be able to open
the fd and either read the appropriate GetDeviceInfo operation code or
just write the DeviceInfo dataset to the fd.

I am able to successfully open "/dev/gc0", however all attempts to
read, write, or poll simply hang. I have scaled back my implementation
to simply get a successful read or write to the fd, but I'm wondering
if I have missed a few steps.

> supported IOCTLS are listed in include/linux/usb/ptp.h

The IOTCLS listed in the "ptp.h" file of buteo-mtp do not correspond
completely with those in the original g_mtp patches that I found. Is
it possible I am missing some key IOCTLS?

> You will get notification of events (e.g. RESET, CANCEL) via POLLPRI. Then
> use the appropriate ioctl to read the event.
>
> To signal end of data/response block (i.e. ZLP/SLP) you need to use fsync().
>
> This is pretty much all you'll need to implement the responder.
>
> --
> regards,
> -roger

If you have any suggestions for me or resources to point me to, I
would greatly appreciate it. I do not wish to waste anyone's time,
however understanding how I am supposed to successfully interact with
the fd really seems key to me in order to implement this responder
without QT dependency.

Thanks,
Brett