Re: PROBLEM: ENOEXEC on write to Opticon OPN-2001 barcode scanner

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 05:42:52PM +1000, Brendan Jurd wrote:
> On 14 July 2010 17:35, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:52:55PM +1000, Brendan Jurd wrote:
> >> I am attempting to get data from an Opticon OPN-2001 USB barcode
> >> scanner (ID 065a:0009 Optoelectronics Co., Ltd).
> >
> > Get data means "read", right?
> >
> >> When I attempt to write anything to /dev/ttyUSB0, I get an ENOEXEC
> >> "Exec format error":
> >
> > Wait, why would you want to write to a barcode scanner? ?They are pretty
> > much read-only devices, right?
> >

> I don't know about barcode scanners in general, but the OPN-2001 is a
> detached handheld unit which scans a bunch of barcodes and keeps them
> stored on the device.  You then plug in and connect to the scanner,
> and issue a serial command to tell it to dump its stored barcodes.
> What I'm trying to do here is issue a command to the device by writing
> to it, and it should then respond as per its protocol.
>
> But we're not even getting that far.  The write fails miserably with
> the (rather curious) ENOEXEC.

That's because there is no bulk-out endpoint so the driver does not
support writing at all, sorry.

In fact, I don't think this driver works well at all right now.  I got
some reports from Opticon that it needed to be modified for newer
devices that supported writing to the device (like yours it seems), and
other features.

Personally, I don't have the time due to real-life (tm) issues, but if
others want to help out, I'd be glad to put you in contact with Opticon
to hopefully resolve the issues.

thanks,

greg k-h